Summer Abroad — Paris: French Language, Culture and History
• Berkeley: 2024 dates TBA in Oct., 2023
• Paris: 2024 dates TBA in Oct., 2023
Dates are subject to change
Language of Instruction: French and English
Dive headfirst into French culture—past and present—while living in Paris, one of the most picturesque cities in the world.
- Immerse yourself in French culture and enhance your oral and written French language skills
- Live in central Paris with other program students
- Participate in field trips to local museums, theaters, and other cultural sites
- Courses: the following language:
During the program, you will take a minimum of two courses for a total of 5-8 UC Berkeley units. One course will be Elementary French (FRENCH 1), Intermediate Conversation (FRENCH 13), or Advanced Conversation (FRENCH 14), depending on your language proficiency. The other course will be French History and Culture (FRENCH 43A). Students in Intermediate or Advanced Conversation may elect to enroll in an optional Independent Study (FRENCH 197).
Possible Course Combinations
- French 1 (5 units) + French 43A (3 units) = 8 units
- French 13 (2 units) + French 43A (3 units) = 5 units
- French 13 (2 units) + French 43A (3 units) + French 197 (1 unit) = 6 units
- French 14 (2 units) + French 43A (3 units) = 5 units
- French 14 (2 units) + French 43A (3 units) + French 197 (1 unit) = 6 units
- Please note that students are required to arrange for their own housing for the in-Berkeley portion of the course.
- In Paris, students will live in single studio-style rooms in a dorm residence. Rooms come furnished with a microwave, refrigerator, stove, and pots and pans. The residence is walking distance from open air fresh markets (fresh produce, meats and fish) as well as grocery stores.
- Please note that while some group meals occur on special programmed occasions, daily meals are not provided on the program.
• At least one year of college coursework completed by the start of the program
• 2.0 GPA or higher
• Application typically opens February 1
• Space is limited and applications are accepted on a first-come, first-served basis
• Deadline to apply is typically Mid-March
This program will allow you to experience Paris and gain an appreciation of its rich cultural history. You will sharpen your French language skills through immersive city experiences and your studies in the classroom. In addition to your studies, you will take a boat tour along the River Seine and tour a number of historic landmarks throughout Paris such as the Garnier Opera House, the Orsay Museum, and the Conciergerie Palace and Prison. Finally, you will venture outside of the city with all-day excursions to locations such as Claude Monet’s house and the Palace of Versailles.
“This program improved my French skills so much!! Having incredible professors teaching you a language and then getting to immediately use it in your daily life is so helpful for retention, plus living in a Francophone country means you can pick up on some fun slang. Personally, living in a foreign country and making the most of every day opened my eyes to how much more there is to discover wherever I am, even in my hometown or Berkeley. It has made me more willing to seek out adventure everywhere.”
Sydney R., Global Studies Major
“I was amazed at how quickly I learned French while in Paris! Having a great teaching faculty along with being immersed in the language in one of the most beautiful cities in the world made me fall in love with the French language and with Paris.”
– Yoongi T., Participant
This program is open to students of French at the beginning, intermediate, and advanced-intermediate levels. For students who have completed French 102 and are interested in summer abroad, please reach out to Global Internships Paris or contact the Undergraduate Major Advisor at firstname.lastname@example.org for information about Bay Area internships in French. For more information and application forms, click here.