Information on the Undergraduate Major in French


Tout est dit, et l’on vient trop tard.

‚ÄĒ La Bruy√®re

Applying Study Abroad Coursework toward French Major/Minor Requirements

When determining equivalent coursework for Berkeley Study Abroad courses, the Department looks for equivalent content at an equivalent level. Courses must correspond in content and level to UCB upper division French courses required for the Major or Minor.

Here are the criteria for determining if coursework is ‚Äúequivalent‚ÄĚ

  • ¬†Course must be taught in French.
  • ¬†Course must be taken for a Letter Grade, with one exception.¬† French majors can apply a maximum of one P/NP course per semester of study abroad in a full- immersion study abroad program toward satisfaction of French major requirements.¬† The P/NP option¬†may not be applied to mandatory courses within the UCEAP program.
  • ¬†Content of the course must be equivalent to upper division French courses offered at UCB. This means most courses in French Literature, French Linguistics, French Film and Advanced French Language Study will be good candidates. A complete listing of French Dept. Courses can be found in the¬†Berkeley Academic Guide.
  • ¬†Course hours must be (approximately) equivalent to upper division French courses offered at UCB (about 4 semester units)
  • ¬†Final approval of equivalent coursework is granted after the student returns from study abroad, and the course grades and units have been posted to the student‚Äôs UC Berkeley transcript.
  • Equivalent courses from study abroad can¬†satisfy a maximum of 4 French Major course requirements or 2 French Minor course requirements.

Coursework completed in the UCEAP Language and Culture programs is not considered equivalent to third- and fourth-year level French courses at UCB, and thus cannot satisfy  upper division course requirements for the French Major or Minor.

For additional information, contact

Carol Dolcini
Undergraduate Advising, French Dept.